Spinach + Potatoes + Cilantro = Delicious Curry
As soon as I saw the delicious piles of spinach, cilantro and potatoes coming our way at CSA pickup last week my mouth immediately started watering for a spicy, sultry vegetable curry. The following recipe is adapted from the Vegan with a Vengeance and Madhur Jaffrey’s World of East Vegetarian cookbooks. Feel free to improvise with the ingredients based on what you have in the cupboard. You can use more chickpeas and leave out the potatoes or vice versa. You could use cubes of fried tofu instead of either. You can also substitute coconut milk for tomatoes to make a creamy curry. Versatility! This dish tastes even more delicious the next day.
This recipe is vegan, wheat and soy free!
-1 can diced tomatoes
-2 t mustard seeds
-4 cloves garlic
-2 T fresh ginger
-3 t curry powder
-2 t ground cumin
-1 t ground coriander
-1/2 t cinnamon
-pinch of ground cloves
-pinch asafoetida (optional)
-3 cardamom pods
-1 t salt + more to taste
-spinach (5-10 cups)
-cooked chickpeas (1 C)
-handful of cilantro to garnish
1. Dice potatoes and boil in a large pot of water until just tender. Drain.
2. Preheat a medium saucepan on medium heat. Cover the bottom of the pan with oil, add mustard seeds and immediately cover. Let seeds pop (about a minute).
3. Add onion to pot and saute until brown (10 min.)
4. Add garlic and ginger to pot and saute 2 more min.
5. Add dry spices and stir, saute until fragrant.
6. Add potatoes and saute 2 min.
7. Add tomatoes including juice. When sauce begins to simmer start adding spinach by handfuls allowing it to wilt a little before adding more.
8. Add chickpeas and simmer with lid on 10 min.
9. Remove lid and simmer 5 min. Remove from heat and let sit 5-10 min. before devouring.
Garnish with plentiful cilantro and serve with rice, indian bread, and chutneys.